76) A. Lamichhane, , S. Tran, J. Putman, H. Tavana, “Modeling adaptive drug resistance of colorectal cancer and therapeutic interventions with tumor spheroids” Exp. Biol. Med. (2021) in press.
75) P. Rafsanjani Nejad, P.S. Thakuri, S. Singh, A. Lamichhane, J. Heiss, H. Tavana, “Toxicity of combinations of kinase pathways inhibitors to normal human cells in a three-dimensional culture” SLAS Technol. (2021) in press.
74) P.S. Thakuri, S. Singh, M. Gupta, G.D. Luker, H. Tavana, “Modeling adaptive resistance of KRAS-mutant colorectal cancer to MAPK pathway inhibitors with a three-dimensional tumor model” ACS Pharmacol. Transl. Sci. 3 (2020) 1176-1187.
73) S. Singh, L.A. Ray, P.S. Thakuri, S. Tran, M.C. Konopka, G.D. Luker, H. Tavana, “Organotypic breast tumor model elucidates dynamic remodeling of tumor microenvironment” Biomater 238 (2020) 119853 1-11.
72) S. Singh, S. Tran, J. Putman, H. Tavana, “Three-dimensional models of breast cancer-fibroblasts interactions” Exp. Biol. Med. 245 (2020) 879-888.
71) P.S. Thakuri, M. Gupta, S. Singh, R. Joshi, E. Glasgow, A. Lekan, S. Agarwal, G.D. Luker, H. Tavana, “Phytochemicals inhibit migration of triple negative breast cancer cells by targeting kinase signaling” BMC Cancer 20:4 (2020) 1-14.
70) X. Li, H. Tavana, S. Bhavnani, J.L. Warner, “Ranking of therapeutic regimens for hormone receptor-positive, HER2-negative, metastatic breast cancer (MBC) using information theoretic network meta-analysis” J. Clin. Oncol. 38 (2020) 2050.
69) H. Tarrahimofrad, A. Meimandipour, S. Arjmand, M. Beigi Nassiri, E. Jahangirian, H. Tavana, J. Zamani, S. Rahimnahal, S. Aminzadeh, “Structural and biochemical characterization of a novel thermophilic Coh01147 protease” PLoS One 15 (2020) e0234958.
68) M. Plaster*, S. Singh*, H. Tavana, “Fibroblasts promote proliferation and matrix invasion of breast cancer cells in co-culture models” Adv. Ther. 2 (2019) 1900121 1-8. *Equal contribution
67) S. Arjmand, Z. Tavassoli, B. Saeidi, S.-O. Ranaei-Siadat, H. Tavana, “Enhancing chimeric hydrophobin II-vascular endothelial growth factor A165 expression in Pichia pastoris and its efficient purification using hydrophobin counterpart” Int. J. Biol. Macromol. 139 (2019) 1028-1034.
66) P.S. Thakuri, M. Gupta, R. Joshi, S. Singh, H. Tavana, “Synergistic inhibition of kinase pathways overcomes resistance of colorectal cancer spheroids to cyclic targeted therapies” ACS Pharmacol. Transl. Sci. 2 (2019) 275-284.
65) N. Esfandiari, Z. Bagheri, H. Ehtesabi, Z. Fatahi, H. Tavana, H. Latifi,“Effect of carbonization degree of carbon dots on cytotoxicity and photo-induced toxicity to cells” Heliyon 5 (2019) e02940.
64) Z. Fatahi, N. Esfandiari, H. Ehtesabi, Z. Bagheri, H. Tavana, Z. Ranjbar, H. Latifi, “Physicochemical and cytotoxicity analysis of green synthesis carbon dots for cell imaging” EXCLI Journal 18 (2019) 454-466.
63) P.S. Thakuri, M. Gupta, M. Plaster, H. Tavana, “Quantitative size-based analysis of tumor spheroids and responses to therapeutics” Assay Drug Dev. Technol. 17 (2019) 140-149.
62) A. Copploe, M. Vatani, J.-W. Choi, H. Tavana, “A three-dimensional model of human lung airway tree to study therapeutics delivery in the lungs” Ann. Biomed. Eng. 47 (2019) 1435-1445.
61) P.S. Thakuri, G.D. Luker, H. Tavana, “Cyclical treatment of colorectal tumor spheroids induces resistance to MEK inhibitors” Transl. Oncol. 12 (2019) 404-416.
60) R. Joshi, B. Fuller, B. Mosadegh, H. Tavana, “Stem cell colony interspacing effect on differentiation to neural cells” J. Tissue Eng. Regen. Med. 12 (2018) 2041-2054.
59) A. Mohammadpoor, S. Arjmand, A. Lotfi, H. Tavana, M. Kabir-Salmani, “Promoting hepatogenic differentiation of human mesenchymal stem cells using a novel laminin-containing gelatin cryogel scaffold” Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 507 (2018) 15-21.
58) S. Singh, H. Tavana, “Collagen partition in polymeric aqueous two-phase systems for tissue engineering” Front. Chem. 6 (2018) 1-7.
57) A. Copploe, M. Vatani, R. Amini, J.-W. Choi, H. Tavana, “Engineered airway models to study liquid plug splitting at bifurcations: Effects of orientation and airway size” J. Biomech. Eng. 140 (2018) 091012 1-8.
56) Z. Bagheri, H. Ehtesabi, Z. Hallaji, N. Aminoroaya, H. Tavana, E. Behroodi, M. Rahimifard,. M. Abdollahi, H. Latifi, “On-chip analysis of carbon dots effect on yeast replicative lifespan” Anal. Chim. Acta 1033 (2018) 119-127.
55) R. Joshi, B. Fuller, J. Li, H. Tavana, “Statistical analysis of multi-dimensional, temporal gene expression of stem cells to elucidate colony size-dependent neural differentiation” Mol. Omics 14 (2018) 109-120.
54) P.S. Thakuri, C. Liu, G.D. Luker, H. Tavana, “Biomaterials-based approaches to tumor spheroid and organoid modeling” Adv. Healthcare Mater. 7 (2018) 1700980 1-21.
53) S.L. Ham, P.S. Thakuri, M. Plaster, J. Li, K.E. Luker, G.D. Luker, H. Tavana, “Three-dimensional tumor model mimics stromal – breast cancer cells signaling” Oncotarget 9 (2018) 249-267.
52) R. Joshi, J.B. Buchanan, P.S. Thakuri, J. Li, H. Tavana, “Microprinted embryonic stem cell niches reveal compounding effect of colony size on stromal cells-mediated neural differentiation” Adv. Healthcare Mater. 7 (2018) 1700832 1-11.
51) K.N. Shah, A.J. Ditto, D.C. Crowder, J.H. Overmeyer, H. Tavana, W.A. Maltese, Y.H. Yun, “Receptor-mediated attachment and uptake of hyaluronan conjugates by breast cancer cells” Mol. Pharm. 14 (2017) 3968-3977.
50) E. Atefi, R. Joshi, H. Tavana, “Effect of molecular weight of phase polymers on partition of cells in aqueous two-phase systems” MRS Adv. 2 (2017) 2415-2426.
49) R. Joshi, J.B. Buchanan, H. Tavana, “Self-regulatory soluble factors of embryonic stem cells in co-culture with stromal cells enhance neural differentiation” Integr. Biol. 9 (2017) 418-426. (COVER ART)
48) N. Peela, D. Troung, H. Saini, H. Chu, S. Mashaghi, S.L. Ham, S. Singh, H. Tavana, B. Mosadegh, M. Nikkhah, “Advanced biomaterials and microengineering technologies to recapitulate the stepwise proces of cancer metastasis” Biomater. 133 (2017) 176-207.
47) P.S. Thakuri, H. Tavana, “Single and combination drug screening with aqueous biphasic spheroids”, SLAS Discov. 22 (2017) 507-515.
46) S. Arjmand, N. Khaledi, R. Fayazmilani, A.S. Lotfi, H. Tavana, “Association of mitochondrial DNA haplogroups with elite athletic status in Iranian population”, Meta Gene 11 (2017) 81-84.
45) R. Joshi, J. Buchanan, S. Paruchuri, N. Morris, H. Tavana “Molecular analysis of stromal cells-induced neural differentiation of mouse embryonic stem cells” PLoS One 11 (2016) e0166316.
44) P.S. Thakuri, S.L. Ham, G.D. Luker, H. Tavana, “Multi-parametric analysis of oncology drug screening with aqueous two-phase tumor spheroids” Mol. Pharm. 13 (2016) 3724-3735.
43) S.L. Ham, R. Joshi, G.D. Luker, H. Tavana, “Engineered breast cancer cell spheroids display biologic properties of solid tumors” Adv. Healthcare Mater. 5 (2016) 2788-2798.
42) P.S. Thakuri, S.L. Ham, H. Tavana, “Microprinted tumor spheroids enable anti-cancer drug screening” Conf. Proc. IEEE Eng. Med. Biol. Soc. (2016) 4177-4180.
41) R. Joshi, J. Buchanan, H. Tavana, “Colony size effect on neural differentiation of embryonic stem cells microprinted on stromal cells” Conf. Proc. IEEE Eng. Med. Biol. Soc. (2016) 4173-4176.
40) S.L. Ham, R. Joshi, P.S. Thakuri, H. Tavana, “Liquid-based three-dimensional tumor models in cancer research and drug discovery” Exp. Biol. Med. 241 (2016) 939-954.
39) E. Atefi, D. Fyffe, K.B. Kaylan, H. Tavana, “Characterization of aqueous two-phase systems from volume and density measurements” J. Chem. Eng. Data 61 (2016) 1531-1539.
38) E. Atefi, R. Joshi, J.A. Mann Jr., H. Tavana, “Interfacial tension effect on cell partition in aqueous two-phase systems” ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 7 (2015). 21305-21314.
37) S.L. Ham, S. Nasrollahi, K.N. Shah, A. Soltisz, S. Paruchuri, Y.H. Yun, G.D. Luker, A. Bishayee, H. Tavana, “Phytochemicals potently inhibit migration of metastatic breast cancer cells” Integr. Biol. 7 (2015) 792-800. (COVER ART)
36) R. Joshi, H. Tavana, “Microengineered embryonic stem cells niche to induce neural differentiation” Conf. Proc. IEEE Eng. Med. Biol. Soc. (2015) 3557-3560.
35) S.L. Ham, H. Tavana, “Robotic printing and drug screening of 384-well tumor spheroids” Conf. Proc. IEEE Eng. Med. Biol. Soc. (2015) 2183-2186.
34) S.L. Ham, E. Atefi, D. Fyffe, H. Tavana, “Robotic production of cancer cell spheroids with an aqueous two-phase system for drug testing”, J. Vis. Exp. 98 (2015) e52754.
33) E. Atefi, S. Lemmo, D. Fyffe, G.D. Luker, H. Tavana, “High throughput, polymeric aqueous two-phase printing of tumor spheroids”, Adv. Func. Mater. 24 (2014) 6509-6515.
32) S. Lemmo, E. Atefi, G.D. Luker, H. Tavana, “Optimization of aqueous biphasic tumor spheroid microtechnology for anti-cancer drug testing in 3D culture”, Cell. Mol. Bioeng. 7 (2014) 344-354.
31) E. Atefi, J.A. Mann Jr., H. Tavana, “Ultralow interfacial tensions of aqueous two-phase systems measured using drop shape”, Langmuir 30 (2014) 9691-9699.
30) S. Lemmo, S. Nasrolahi, H. Tavana, “Aqueous biphasic cancer cell migration methodology for robust, high throughput compound screening”, Biotechnol. J. 9 (2014) 426-434.
29) D. Petrak, E. Atefi, L. Yin, W. Chilian, H. Tavana, “Automated, spatio-temporally controlled cell microprinting with polymeric aqueous biphasic system”, Biotechnol. Bioeng. 111 (2014) 404-412.
28) E. Atefi, J.A. Mann Jr., H. Tavana, “A robust polynomial fitting approach for contact angle measurements”, Langmuir, 29 (2013) 5677-5688.
27) H. Tavana, K. Kaylan, T. Bersano-Begey, K.E. Luker, G.D. Luker, S. Takayama, “Rehydration of polymeric, aqueous, biphasic system facilitates high throughput cell exclusion patterning for cell migration studies”, Adv. Func. Mater., 21 (2011) 2920-2926. (COVER ART) Featured on Materials Views
26) H. Tavana, S. Takayama, “Aqueous biphasic microprinting approach to tissue engineering”, Biomicrofluidics, 5 (2011) 013404-1–013404-8. Top 20 most downloaded articles
25) H. Tavana, B. Mosadegh, P. Zamankhan, J.B. Grotberg, S. Takayama, “Microprinted feeder cells guide embryonic stem cell fate”, Biotechnol. Bioeng., 108 (2011) 2509-2516.
24) H. Tavana, P. Zamankhan, P.J. Christensen, J.B. Grotberg, S. Takayama, “Epithelium damage and protection during reopening of occluded airways in a physiologic microfluidic pulmonary airway model”, Biomed. Microdev., 13 (2011) 731-742.
23) B. Mosadegh, H. Tavana, S. Takayama, “High-density fabrication of normally closed microfluidic valves by patterned deactivation of oxidized polydimethylsiloxane”, Lab Chip, 11 (2011), 738-742.
22) H. Tavana, B. Mosadegh, S. Takayama, “Polymeric aqueous biphasic systems for non-contact cell printing on cells: Engineering heterocellular embryonic stem cell niches”, Adv. Mater., 22 (2010) 2628-2631.
21) B. Mosadegh, A. Maynak, H. Tavana, T. Bersano-Begey, Y. Torisawa, M. Morell, M.J. Wyatt, K.S. O’Shea, K.F. Barald, S. Takayama, “Uniform cell seeding and generation of overlapping gradient profiles in a multiplexed microchamber device with normally-closed valves”, Lab Chip, 10 (2010) 2959-2964.
20) H. Tavana, C.-H. Kuo, Q.Y. Lee, B. Mosadegh, D. Huh, P.J. Christensen, J.B. Grotberg, S. Takayama, “Dynamics of liquid plugs of buffer and surfactant solutions in a micro-engineered pulmonary airway model”, Langmuir, 26 (2010) 3744-3752.
19) B. Mosadegh, C.-H. Kuo, Y.-C. Tung, Y. Torisawa, T. Bersano-Begey, H. Tavana, S. Takayama, “Integrated elastomeric components for autonomous control of microfluidic switching and oscillation” Nature Phys., 6 (2010) 433-437.
18) H. Tavana, A. Jovic, B. Mosadegh, Q.Y. Lee, X. Liu, K.E. Luker, G.D. Luker, S.J. Weiss, S. Takayama, “Aqueous nanodrops in aqueous media: Genetic reagent patterning on living cells”, BIOforum Europe, 1-2, (2010) 17-20.
17) H. Tavana, A. Jovic, B. Mosadegh, Q.Y. Lee, X. Liu, K.E. Luker, G.D. Luker, S.J. Weiss, S. Takayama, “Nanoliter liquid patterning in aqueous environments for spatially-defined reagent delivery to mammalian cells”, Nature Mater., 8 (2009) 736-741. Featured on Nature Materials, Science Daily, Genetic Engineering&Biotechnology, University of Michigan News Services
16) H. Tavana, D. Huh, J.B. Grotberg, S. Takayama, “Microfluidics, lung surfactant, and respiratory disorders”, Lab. Medicine, 40 (2009) 203-209. (COVER ART / FEATURE ARTICLE)
15) H. Tavana, D. Huh, J.B. Grotberg, S. Takayama, “Pulmonary airways on a chip: A new approach to study respiratory disorders”, BIOforum Europe, 7-8 (2008) 14-16.
14) S. Zschoche, R. David, H. Tavana, K. Pöschel, N. Petong, V. Dutschk, K. Grundke, A.W. Neumann, “Robustness of wetting and morphology of maleimide copolymer films to choice of solvent and annealing”, Colloids Surf. A: Physicochem. Eng. Aspects, 307 (2007) 53-61.
13) H. Tavana, D. Jehnichen, K. Grundke, M.L. Hair, A.W. Neumann, “Contact angle hysteresis on fluoropolymer surfaces”, Adv. Colloid Interface Sci., 134-135 (2007) 236-248.
12) H. Tavana, A.W. Neumann, “Recent progress in the determination of solid surface tensions from contact angles”, Adv. Colloid Interface Sci., 132 (2007) 1-32. Top 25 Hottest articles
11) H. Tavana, A. Amirfazli, A.W. Neumann, “Fabrication of superhydrophobic surfaces of n-hexatriacontane”, Langmuir, 22 (2006) 5556-5559.
10) H. Tavana, A.W. Neumann, “On the question of rate-dependence of contact angles”, Colloids Surf. A: Physicochem. Eng. Aspects, 282-283 (2006) 256-262.
9) H. Tavana, M.L. Hair, A.W. Neumann, “Influence of electronic properties of naphthalene compounds on contact angles”, J. Phys. Chem. B, 110 (2006) 1294-1300.
8) H. Tavana, C. Yang, C.Y. Yip, D. Appelhans, S. Zschoche, K. Grundke, M.L. Hair, A.W. Neumann, “Stick-slip of the three-phase line in the measurements of dynamic contact angles”, Langmuir, 22 (2006) 628-636.
7) H. Tavana, D. Appelhans, R.-C. Zhuang, S. Zschoche, K. Grundke, M.L. Hair, A.W. Neumann, “Determination of accurate surface tensions of maleimide copolymers containing fluorinated side chain from contact angle measurements”, Colloid Polym. Sci., 291 (2005) 497-505.
6) H. Tavana, F. Simon, K. Grundke, D. Y. Kwok, M.L. Hair, A.W. Neumann, “Interpretation of contact angle measurements on two different fluropolymers for the determination of solid surface tension”, J. Colloid Interface Sci., 291 (2005) 497-506.
5) H. Tavana, N. Petong, A. Hennig, K. Grundke, A.W. Neumann, “Contact angles and coating film thickness”, J. Adhesion, 81 (2005) 29-39.
4) A. Bateni, S. Laughton, H. Tavana, S. Susnar, A. Amirfazli, A.W. Neumann, “Effect of electric fields on contact angle and surface tension of drops”, J. Colloid Interface Sci., 283 (2005) 215-222.
3) H. Tavana, C.N.C. Lam, K. Grundke, P. Friedel, D.Y. Kwok, M.L. Hair, A.W. Neumann, “Contact angle measurements with liquids consisting of bulky molecules”, J. Colloid Interface Sci., 279 (2004) 493-502.
2) H. Tavana, R. Gitiafroz, M.L. Hair, A.W. Neumann, “Determination of solid surface tension from contact angles: the role of shape and size of liquid molecules”, J. Adhesion, 80 (2004) 705-725.
1) H. Tavana, A. Keshavarz, M. Ghassemi, “A new and energy efficient design for home refrigerator/freezers”, Environ. Consci. Des. Manufac. (ECDM), 10 (2001-02) 1-10.